- Available in 3 sizes
- size 8 nibs are our largest measuring 10.0mm wide and are exclusive to our Mammoth range.
- size 7 nibs are our medium nibs measuring 8.4mm wide, and are standard in the larger Onoto pens including Centenary, Nelson, Magna, Magna Classic, Cambridge pens, Royal Ballet Contemporary, Churchill range, Magna Plunger-filler, Diamond Jubilee, Dickens, Aviator and Doctor’s pens.
- size 3 nibs are our smallest measuring 7.5mm wide, and are standard in the smaller Onoto pens including Emma Hamilton, Royal Ballet Aspiration, Excel, Burlington, Heritage Plunger-filler and Overlay No 1 pens.
- Each nib is engraved with the Onoto name, an exclusive Onoto pattern, and the nib size 3, 7 or 8. The latest nibs also have the width (F, M or B) engraved next to this figure.
- Both the18ct gold nibs, and the gold plated stainless steel nibs are two-tone colour and rhodium plated, and have an iridium tip for smooth writing and long life.
- For each size of nib, you can select from Fine, Medium, or Broad width, except for the Size 8 which is only available in Medium and Broad. These are the widths of the writing lines:
- Fine produces approximately a 0.3mm -0.4mm wide line of ink
- Medium produces approximately a 0.5mm- 0.65mm wide line of ink
- Broad produces approximately a 0.7mm – 0.9mm wide line of ink
- The thickness of the line depends on the pressure exerted on the pen, and the type of paper. As a rule, a Broad nib suits large hand writing and flowing signatures, Fine nibs suit smaller hand writing and figure work. Broad nibs can tend to fill in the spaces in “b”, “d”, “e”, “6” etc if you handwriting is small. Medium nib is a good compromise, and selected by the majority of fountain pen users.
- In addition to the standard Fine, Medium and Broad Onoto nibs, there is an option to customise any nib to your own specification at an extra cost of £36.00 excluding VAT. For example, if you prefer to write with a Stub, Italic or Oblique nib, our nib wright, one of the UK's most experienced nib mechanics, will undertake the work to your exact specification. Just include full details when you select the 'custom nib' preference in the shopping cart. You will find full details below of the various custom nib options and how they affect your writing.
- In addition, our nib wright can grind virtually any style, including Arabic and calligraphy nibs to order, although there may be an additional charge for this service. Please contact us if you have a specific request.